Saturday, May 12, 2007

sharehound name

I beleive I was pretty lucky to get the 'sharehound' name back in February 2006 (thanks to Vasily Orlov for suggesting it!). Google search results for 'sharehound' were pretty empty at that time, just pair of email addresses, nothing more. So I took the name, and now my project is perfectly identified by this name with google or anything. Happy with it I attached a TM sign next to sharehound logo (as seen on project page) to make it clear that I wish to own the trademark.

Recently I found that now (from Jan 2007) there's also sharehound.com, a files-searching public service. Functionally it's similar to my opensource project but it's completely unrelated to it. I'm sure that owners of that service are aware of my project's existence (just as I'm sure they use web search engines :) and still chose to use my project's name. Strange guys.. Remember that 'proprietary rights in relation to a trademark may be established through actual use in the marketplace' (Wikipedia), so I would have them even without that TM sign.

Just to make it clear - my sharehound is not a service, it's an opensource product. It could be used as a service as it's web based too but I don't have plans to do it - I think for public users it would be interesting only as a search tool for mostly illegal content (music, video files), so it would be banned as soon as it gets popular - definitely not what I would like.

Potentially this name collision can make some problems for me - for example, people will propagate both good and bad experience from sharehound.com to my product. Now the service seems to be pretty unknown and doesn't make any visible problems to me, so I hesitate to spend any resources to go into trials now.. And may be sharehound.com will manage to get rich - then it will be worth money to trial them, ha ha!

For sharehound.com owners - guys, come on, pick some other name - it's not too late now.

0 comments: